We are living in some very trying times aren’t we? It can be very difficult to create a sense of normal in an abnormal time. Your whole world has shaken up in the last couple weeks, and a new normal has struck each one of us. Some of you became sudden homeschool teachers. Maybe you lost your full time income. Others still have work, but are working double and triple time and no longer have childcare. The challenges just became very real, and we have to face each day. We have a choice in the midst of this chaos. FAITH or FEAR!
So many Christians are choosing to live in fear. It’s an easy trap to fall victim to, especially when the world is surrounded by the reality of all that is happening. While you may be restricted in so many ways right now, there is one thing NO ONE can take from you right now. No one can take your faith.
“It’s time to grow in your FAITH and conquer FEAR” – Deanna Cotten
Here are 5 things you can do daily during your study and devotion time that will equip you to re-focus on your purpose as a follower of God. Take this time to revive and strengthen your walk with God.
1. Have a Bible Reading Plan
- Have a plan! Do not go at the scriptures wandering. With so much confusion and chaos arising, now is the time to be structured in the Word. Do not go at the scriptures without a plan or a sense of direction. Remember, we serve a God of order.
- At iWrite Bible, we recommend a Chronological reading plan. The chronology of the Bible is the glue that holds the Bible together.
What is Biblical Chronology?
- The order of characters and events in the order they happened.
- It helps you to understand the big picture of the Bible
- Establishes an understanding of God’s character and how to apply His character to your own life.
You can find Chronological reading plans and resources for free online. For your convenience we have created a 40 day chronological scripture writing devotional. You can find this resource free here:
We currently have the Old Testament Devotional ready for purchase. The New Testament is coming soon.
2. Prayer Journaling
- Track your prayers, for yourself and others! There is no better time than now to write your petitions to God. With so much stress, you may likely miss the many ways God is moving in your life and the life of others. This is normal. When the dust settles you will have these prayers to reflect on. There is
- In times of stress it can be easy to worry, fear, doubt, complain…am I sounding human right about now? Yes…I totally finid myself experiencing these same things just like you. GIVE THANKS! When your focus shifts to thanksgiving and gratitude, your heart is opened to experiencing God in new ways despite your current challenges.
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
4. Encourage Others
For the love of God stop spreading mass fear and hysteria. The times are very real. I will not underestimate what we are seeing in our country today and across the globe. THIS IS REAL!
BUT…now is the time for Christians to shine. It is time to be a light. Let’s be real. We all have some complaints right? But we certainly don’t need to spread it. Did you know darkness can spread faster than wildfire? Darkness is like a disease. The LIGHT of Jesus has power over it all. Now is the time to be the light of Christ and allow Him to shine through us. So many more will know Him when the waves hit the shore.
We are all missing the times we could meet up in the coffee shop, have lunch together, and head out to a Saturday afternoon movie. What a blessing it is to have social media and internet connecting during for such a time as this.
Take advantage of connecting with others virtually if nothing else! You may be tempted to respond to the media and fear mongering during this crisis. Just remember, you will have a bigger impact when you encourage and bring life to others.
5. Trust God
This is the easiest point to make, and the hardest for each one of us to actually do! The enemy is feeding us lie after lie. Many of us have given up our time with God to chase after every news article and press conference. Be informed, not obsessed. It is possible to know what is going on without letting it take over your life. Keep your focus on God! Replace the lies with the truths found in scripture. He is God and He has you in the palm of His hand. It is my prayer that you will come out of this crisis stronger than ever.
How Do I Grow In My Faith During A Crisis?
As a blessing we have created a daily prayer, gratitude and reflection journal page! You can print as many copies as you need. We are sure this FREE gift will encourage you to shift your focus on the goodness of God’s Word and keep you encouraging others during this time of restriction. Download your Prayer Journal Page here!